Development and application of analytical methods for metabolomics
Metabolomics is an integral part of the broader field of systems biology and has attracted increasing interest for studies in important life science disciplines such as pharmacy, toxicology and medicine. The metabolome is the set of all endo- and exogenous small molecular mass organic compounds (Mr < 1500) found in a given biological media. As metabolites are the ultimate downstream products of genomic, transcriptomic, and/or proteomic perturbations, changes in metabolite concentration and/or flux can reveal biologically relevant changes to the system. Thus, the primary task of metabolomics is the identification of markers or signatures that are characteristic for a defined biological system.
We are using GC/MS and LC/MS/MS as analytical techniques for qualitative and quantitative metabolome analysis. Several assays are available for immediate application. For other targets, an assay development service is provided. Please contact Herbert Oberacher for more information.
The following publications provide examples for the successful application of our analytical expertise to scientific studies:
- Arnhard, K., Pitterl, F., Sperner-Unterweger, B., Fuchs, D., Koal, T., Oberacher, H.
A Validated Liquid Chromatography-High Resolution-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Method for the Simultaneous Quantitation of Tryptophan, Kynurenine, Kynurenic Acid and Quinolinic Acid in Human Plasma
Electrophoresis, 39 (2018), 1171-1180.
- Gerner, R. R., Klepsch, V., Macheiner, S., Arnhard, K., Adolph, A. E., Grander, C., Wieser, V., Pfister, A., Moser, P., Hermann-Kleiter, N., Baier, G., Oberacher, H., Tilg, H., Moschen, A. R.
NAD Metabolism Fuels Human and Mouse Intestinal Inflammation
Gut, 67 (2018), 1813-1823.
- Weber, A. Klocker, H., Oberacher, H., Gnaiger, E., Neuwirt, H., Sampson, N., Eder, I. E.
Succinate Accumulation Is Associated with a Shift of Mitochondrial Respiratory Control and HIF-1 Upregulation in PTEN Negative Prostate Cancer Cells
International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 19 (2018), 2129.
- Doppler, C., Arnhard, K., Dumfarth, J., Heinz, K., Messner, B., Stern, C., Koal, T., Klavins, K., Danzl, K., Pitterl, F., Grimm, M., Oberacher, H., Bernhard, D.
Metabolomic Profiling of Ascending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections - Implications for Pathophysiology and Biomarker Search
PLOS One, 12 (2017), e0176727.
- Oberacher, H., Arnhard, K., Linhart, C., Diwo, A., Marksteiner, J., Humpel, C.
Targeted Metabolomic Analysis of Soluble Lysates from Platelets of Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s Disease Compared to Healthy Controls: Is PC aeC40:4 a Promising Diagnostic Tool?
Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 57 (2017), 493-504